Friends Historical Library (FHL) on Swarthmore College’s campus was established in 1871 to collect, preserve, and make available archival, manuscript, printed, and visual records concerning the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers) from their origins mid-seventeenth century to the present. The collection reflects the Quaker origins of Swarthmore College. With more than 45,000 books, pamphlets and serials, 60,000 photographs, 400 major manuscript collections, and 9,000 volumes of original meeting records, Friends Historical Library is one of the outstanding research facilities for the study of Quaker history.
The Swarthmore Historical Society’s collections were deposited in Friends Historical Library in 1996. The Library also maintains SHS’s archived Swarthmorean newspapers located here.
To visit the SHS collections, click here.