Unlike most communities its size, Swarthmore has boasted a number of newspapers. The first was the Swarthmore, published by the indefatigable John A. Cass in 1894. In 1929, the name was changed to the Swarthmorean that continues as a weekly publication.
Swarthmore History Society has undergone the process of digitizing the Swarthmorean newspapers so that access can be made online to a wider audience. The digital collection is housed at the Friends Historical Library on Swarthmore College’s campus and can be accessed online here.
In addition, the microfilming of newspapers from 2003-2008 has been completed.